Sunday, January 24, 2010

Firefighting

Tomorrow is the day of my firefighter's entry level exam. I'm not really worried about it, since I joined a volunteer department several months ago for pretty much this reason. I really like the job, the different skills we have to master, the equipment, teamwork; pretty much everything about firefighting I greatly enjoy. So it would truly be a shame to be prevented from joining the department. I know that I can pass any of the tests they throw at me, but I've heard of so many people being rejected for various reasons. I know it's highly competitive and have done my best to make myself as attractive to them as humanly possible, but one never knows. It worries me that no matter how great of a candidate you are, you can always be rejected due to there being no slots left. I ran into the same problem a few years ago when talking to my uncle about Recon in the Marine Corps- I was ready to sign my papers and take my chances, until he informed me that out of the select few that even make it through the training, even less of them are picked for the unit, and those only because they know a high-up officer or politician. Fuckin' old boy network. So yes, I'm a little worried at the prospect of there not being enough slots for me. At 26, I'm finally ready for a career, so it would really blow if the career I chose doesn't choose me. My back up, as anyone that knows me is already aware, is the military. Great place for a career, and they would give me access to things I've wanted my whole life (HALO jumps, combat diving, ice climbing, pathfinding, ghillie suits, god i love that shit), but there I run into a similar problem: placement. I want Special Operations, but of course so does everyone, which severely limits space. Granted, proper training and preparation improves one's chance, but always be aware that you may not get what you wish for. Air Force Special Tactics is my first choice through enlistment, but they have such severe age restrictions (at which I'm at the cusp) that that may prove to be an impossibility. So then that leaves the USMC as an officer. May not get SpecOps, but I'll certainly have a helluva experience. I'd have to be out of my mind to enlist in the Corps when there's another option. But whatever; these are all things I'll deal with only if the CFD doesn't pan out. But if for whatever reason I don't find myself as a firefighter, I will know that it is through no fault of my own- I have given it my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment